What type of driver’s license do I need?

If you have a foreign license, you must have one of the following licenses when driving in Japan.

・Normal domestic driver’s license (for those living in Japan)
・International driver’s license (issued by a member country of the Geneva Convention based on the Geneva Convention)
・Foreign driver’s license (Switzerland, Germany, France, Taiwan, Belgium, Monaco)

The type of driver’s license required to drive in Japan depends on the country of issue of the driver’s home driver’s license and the country of residence, not on the driver’s nationality.

International driver’s licenses that are not in the format based on the 1949 Geneva Convention are not valid in Japan. Please make sure that the format is based on the 1949 Geneva Convention.

Characteristics of the format based on the 1949 Geneva Convention
(1) It is in booklet form, not card or paper form
(2) It is issued by the authorities of the Republic of Singapore or an official institution approved by the authorities
(3) The license is in the category A to E
(4) You must be 18 years of age or older
The validity period of the international driver’s license must be within one year from the date of issue of the international driver’s license and within one year from the date of landing in Japan.
Most of our cars can be driven with a rank B (under 3500 kg) license, but there are some exceptions.

Vehicle type</ td> Gross vehicle weight License required
CRESSON Evolite 3,055kg rank B (under 3500 kg/7,700 pounds)
SAKURA2 Rear bunk bed 4,410kg Rank C or higher required (over 3500 kg)

By attaching a translation from the Japanese accreditation agency (JAF) in Switzerland, Germany, France, Taiwan, Belgium, Monaco or your home country’s embassy in Japan, your license will be treated as a valid driver’s license in Japan.
The procedure with the Japanese accreditation agency (JAF) must be carried out from within Japan, so I can do it on your behalf.
There is a fee for translation, so I accept applications on your behalf for a fee of 5,000 yen per person.

Previous article

I want to tour the vehicle